Re: Trim the Fat (Was: Re: Open 7.3 items ) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Trim the Fat (Was: Re: Open 7.3 items )
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Marc G. Fournier writes:

> Next, unless Peter knows how to do it already, I've gotta learn to make
> configure more intelligent, so that for all intents, the "pieces" look
> like one package when building, not just when coding ...

It is possible, but it's not going to work.

There is a lot of interdependent and shared C code that needs to be put
somewhere.  The build infrastructure is not ready to handle missing sub-
or superdirectories at all.  Where is all the documentation going to go?
How are the installation instructions going to cope with the fact that no
one knows where everything is?

This whole things is a worthwhile idea, to some extent, but a lot more
planning needs to be done.  In the meantime I humbly suggest you look for
a better package manager rather than letting it all out on us.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net