Re: Open 7.3 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Open 7.3 items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian writes:

> OK, I have attached a patch for testing.  Sample output is:
>
>     $ sql -U guest test
>     psql: FATAL:  user "test.guest" does not exist
>     $ createuser test.guest

I will object to any scheme that makes any characters in the user name
magic.  Two reasons:  First, do it right, make a separate column.
Second, several tools use URI syntax to specify data sources.  This will
break any feature that relies on being able to put special characters into
the user name.

The right solution to having database-local user names is putting extra
information into pg_shadow regarding which database this user applies to.
It could be an array or some separate "authentication domain" thing.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net