Re: utils C files - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: utils C files
Date
List pgsql-patches
Bruce Momjian writes:

> I have applied the following diff to make the sharing of C files among
> modules more sane.  Instead of having configure.in set the file name to
> strdup.o and have the Makefiles specify the path, I set it to the full
> path $(top_builddir)/src/utils/strdup.o and have the makefiles use
> that directly, rather than going through with 'make -c dirname
> filename'.

Don't do that, it doesn't work.  Building outside the source tree, weird
compilers, etc.  The current state was the result of much labor to get rid
of exactly the state you reintroduced.

A secondary objection is that I've been meaning to replace configure
checks of the form

AC_CHECK_FUNCS(inet_aton, [], INET_ATON='inet_aton.o')
AC_SUBST(INET_ATON)

with one integrated macro, which doesn't work if we have to encode the
path into configure.

Also, do not tab-indent comments in makefiles.  That makes them part of
the command to execute.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net