Re: show() function - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: show() function
Date
List pgsql-patches
Joe Conway writes:

> I thought it was a good parallel to the current command, but I see your
> point. I'll wait for a while to see if Peter has any suggestions, and
> then resubmit.

The only reason this function doesn't exist yet is that I've been avoiding
this very question.

My personal favorite these days was get_session_characteristic(), which is
reasonably SQL-related and doesn't overload any confusing terms such as
parameter, variable, or option.  However, considering the new
transaction-only settings, this name would be incorrect.  Again, stealing
from SQL, an alternative could be current_characteristic(), which you
couldn't really argue against except on the ground that it's pretty weird.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net