Re: Report generation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Holger Marzen
Subject Re: Report generation
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   I've been doing a lot of playing and learning with postgres, and if the
> subject of report generation is in either the distribution docs or either of
> the two books I've read, I cannot recall seeing the discussion.
>
>   What are my options for getting reports from a database, particularly for
> printing?
>
>   For example, I'm porting my old A/P module to postgres and C. How do I
> print checks from data within the database? Or, print payable reports and
> transaction journals? I've not seen references to report generators anywhere
> so I assume they have to be hand-crafted in C, perl, python or something
> similar.

Run a webserver and use Perl-CGIs or PHP, e.g. Apache+PHP.
+ No installation of client software needed.
- Not as "cute" as other solutions.

Install ODBC on your Clients and Crystal Reports or MS-Access
+ May look better (important for the ties).
[+ Is expensive (important for the ties).]
- License fees, a lot of work if there are many PCs where the client
  software has to be installed.

--
PGP/GPG Key-ID:
http://blackhole.pca.dfn.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB5A1AFE1