Re: [webmaster] Sorry to bother you - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: [webmaster] Sorry to bother you
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Joshua Lewis wrote:

> What is postgresql. How is it different to MYSQL. I don't need a big long
> history or something. I am just curious why someone would use PSQL as
> apposed to MS SQL or MySQL

I'll bite too.

The big difference between these three databases is the philosophy of the
development community behind them.

MySQL:  Speed is paramount.
MSSQL:  Ease of use, Sales and vendor lockin are paramount.
PgSQL:  Reliability and correctness are paramount.

MySQL tends to be used mostly for content management.

MSSQL tends to be used for intranet applications.

Postgresql tends to get used in place or Oracle.