Re: [webmaster] Sorry to bother you - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: [webmaster] Sorry to bother you
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

I’ll bite on this one.

vs. mysql:

psql has much stronger support for advanced sql features that promote good database design.  This is very important if you want to build a complex database without writing tons of code.  If you go with mysql be prepared to write a lot of code to broker the data in and out of your database.  If you are into serious database development, IMO steer clear of this database.  The hype surrounding this database far outstrips the capability of the database itself.

vs. ms sql:

If you are on the Microsoft platform (and don’t mind paying for this server), this is a tougher choice.  There are a lot of good things about this product:

Tight integration with .net

A very respectable feature set, with some nice administration features.

More familiar to those who prefer Microsoft style tools and development.

M$ addressed the need for a light database deployment (think, bundled with app) when the introduced the MSDE, a paired down version of sql server.  If you pick this option, you will not have made the wrong choice, even if it’s not the best one.

The big problem with ms sql is vendor lock in: migrating off this platform means scrapping your project and rethinking your development style.   Also, if you really know your stuff, Microsoft’s ‘GUI heavy’ administration style is mostly just intrusive and annoying (although, by Microsoft standards, not too bad).  I am very conflicted about this database, but around 7.1, the pg team knocked out the few remaining reasons to go with this solution.  The lack of a native windows port is an issue (but an easily resolvable one) if you are considering deployment onto end user computers.

If you are at all into performance, you will find postgres to be far and away faster than any other database on the market, except for a small class of operations that have been carefully considered to be on the other side of the speed/reliability tradeoff.

The best answer I can give you is: given the same developer talent, choosing psql will give you a better product in less time, and offers the best flexibility.  These practical advantages are offered for free with a very liberal software license.

Merlin