Re: PostgreSQL vs. Oracle - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: PostgreSQL vs. Oracle
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Peter Galbavy wrote:

> Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> > If you aer running into problems w.r.t postgresql and looking at
> > migration, I suggest you post your specific problems on lists like
> > general. You might get some more mileage out of existing system.
>
> This isn't always possible. I know cases from personal experience where
> 'management' (who in many cases are defined as being clueless - see Dilbert)
> will say things like 'I went to lunch with the Oracle Business Development
> guy and we are going to migrate over in the next 3 months.'
>
> Staff on the front line need amunition to support sane alternative
> strategies, like not changing something if it works, but externally sourced
> analysis always reads better to most management.

I don't know, I've always found it quite effective to say, "Great, that
gives me three months to find another job." :-)  I'm not bluffing when I
say it, thought, I mean it. If a boss is enough of an idiot to make those
decisions without consulting his developers I'd rather find another job.