Re: Another "benchmark" of MySQL/PostgreSQL on - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Another "benchmark" of MySQL/PostgreSQL on
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Alexey Borzov wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Here it is:
> http://lists.mysql.com/list.php?1:mss:145114:mbnfmalgopgpdmpooeho
>
> I already asked the author whether he tried to reasonably tune
> PostgreSQL before benchmarking. It will be good if some "official"
> PostgreSQL folks help with the discussion.
>
> I think that if the author of the "benchmark" really wants to get decent
> performance (and not to bash Postgres) then he will re-run the stuff.
> And that's a good possibility to show MySQL users the real performance
> situation --- and in their own maillist. ;

Invariably, what's happened is they've written code full of

select max(id) from table_of_a_million_records

or

select * from table where id in (list_of_1000_ids)

or they are trying to insert 10,000 rows but not bothering to put them in
a transaction.

Add to that the fact that 99% of these folks have NOT bothered to
optimize the postgresql.conf file or the OS they're running on and it just
gets worse.

Most of the time, it's a simple case of not taking to time to learn the
way to do things fast in the newer database.

the funny thing is, as MySQL adds these features, it WILL slow down.  then
the users who wanted triggers / views etc... will find themselves with the
same problems in MySQL they are complaining about in Postgresql.  I.e.
they'll have to learn the workarounds to make things faster.

As an engineer, I value stability and reliability first, since MySQL seems
to be missing those qualities, it's not even in the running for me.