Re: System lockup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: System lockup
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, DeJuan Jackson wrote:

> Then I think it's a kernel (Red Hat kernel 2.4) bug, because I've had
> the same issue on 4 different machines of different ages and
> configurations, using the same or similar datasets and using different
> ones.  I wanted to eliminate postgres as a culprit because it would be
> the easiest thing to correct.
>
> As noted in my previous post I'm currently experiencing the problem on a
> Red Hat 8.0 and 7.2 (fully errata patched) (and am currently testing a
> RH7.1 install without patching the kernel to see what I get [so far no
> lockups {4 days production load}]).
>
> So, I think it's time ti switch to FreeBSD, or move my question to a Red
> Hat list.  I'll give the Red Hat geeks a chance to answer before
> becoming a trait..., I mean moving to FreeBSD.

I use RH 7.2 for VERY heavy database/apache/ldap load and it never ever
locks up.  How's your setup for things in the BIOS?  I've found that
settings like SMP mode 1.1 versus 1.4 in some BIOSes makes a difference
(lockups with 1.1, works fine in 1.4).  I'd take a look at what's common
on the boxes hardware wise, i.e. NICs, motherboards, video cards, hard
drives, scsi controllers, BIOS settings for the PCI bus or memory speed
etc...