Re: PostgreSQL and XML - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: PostgreSQL and XML
Date
Re: PostgreSQL and XML  (Tony Grant <tony@tgds.net>)
List pgsql-general
On 14 Mar 2003, Tony Grant wrote:

> When searching the online docs  for
>
> > PostgreSQL 7.3 allows UDFs to return multiple rows
>
> I noticed the site is tits up because of a PHP error...
>
> OK this won't make me very popular but why are you guys messing around
> with this junk? PHP is for MySQL weenies... Real men use JSP!
>
> OK so it is Friday afternoon - I'll just go to the fridge and get a beer
> now...

Wow, what is it with you guys and your unsupported assertions against PHP
today.  First on hackers and now on general.  You don't PHP, don't use it.
You want the website done in JSP, then do it and quit bitching about
someone else's choice of tools.

It's not failing because of a PHP error.  did you look at the screen?
It's failing because the database isn't answering.  JSP wouldn't make it
any better, it would still be offline.

My PHP server stays up 24/7 under heavy load doing very complex things.
One machine, 99.99% uptime, no unscheduled downtime in two years.

Our JSP Server farm has failures every week, where some part of the
complex inner workings that is JSP fail for no apparent reason and needs
to be reset.  That's enterprise computing?  If it wasn't a failover of
three machines it would be offline for an hour or so a week.

I've seen as many unsupported assertions that "postgresql is a toy, use
oracle" before.

They're just as ugly no matter what you're talking about.  PHP works a
charm, and if you'd actually try and benchmark it against JSP you might be
surprised how much faster it is, especially under load.

Informed opinion is welcomed, but this kind of off the cuff slamming of
something you know so little about it just ugly.