Index File growing big. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From PRAGATI SAVAIKAR
Re: Index File growing big.
List pgsql-performance

Hi !!

   We have "PostgreSQL 7.2.1 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC 2.96"
installed on Linux (RedHat 7.2)
Our database size is 15 GB.
Since the database size was increasing and was about to cross the actual
Hard Disk parttion Size, we moved the datafiles (also the index files) to
another partition  and created link to them from the data directory.
This was working fine.
But what we found was , the index files(2 files) were not getting updated
in the new partition, instead postgres had created another index file with
name
"tableID".1  in the original data directory. The size of this file was
356MB,
The actual size of the data table is 1GB. and there were 2 indexes for the
table. which were of size approximately=150MB.

But after we created link, those 2 index files were not getting updated,
instead the new file with ".1" extension got created in the data directory
(old parttion) and the same is getting updated everyday.

We dropped the table but the file with ".1" extension was not getting
removed from data directory. We manually had to remove it.

Can U please suggest some way to avoid the file getting created when we
move the data file (along with the index files) to another partition.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Pragati.