Re: Dumb Newbie Question - Mandrake 9.0 / PGSQL 7.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Dumb Newbie Question - Mandrake 9.0 / PGSQL 7.2
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, QUINN, JAY (SBCSI) wrote:

> Ok, I went and bought Mandrake Linux 9.0 today, it has Postgresql 7.2.
> Where is Postgresql in this OS?  I can see it via ps -ef|grep post*, and
> when it loads up on boot and stops when it shuts down.  But I can't find the
> icon or where it resides in the GUI to start/run or use it.  Help!  Thanks,
> Jay
>
> Jay Quinn - Sr. Data Analyst
> Enterprise Data Warehouse
> http://edw.sbc.com/
> http://esis.sbc.com
> Desk (214) 576-7163
>
> > "This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are the property of SBC,
> > are confidential, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or
> > entity to whom this e-mail is addressed. If you are not one of the named
> > recipient(s) or otherwise have reason to believe that you have received
> > this message in error, please notify the sender at (214) 576-7163 and
> > retention, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail
> > is strictly prohibited."

before you go off looking for a fancy GUI (there are a few, pgaccess,
pgadminII, etc...) try using psql from the command line.  It's one of the
finest command line interfaces I've seen for any database, and it's quite
easy to learn.