Re: Conditional NOTIFY is not implemented - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From
Subject Re: Conditional NOTIFY is not implemented
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, 7 Sep 2001 tomas@fabula.de wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 12:30:44AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > tomas@fabula.de writes:
> > > My pattern of use for ``CREATE RULE... NOTIFY...'' was [...]
>
> > Yeah, that is the normal and recommended usage pattern for NOTIFY, so
> > getting a NOTIFY when nothing actually happened is fairly harmless.
> > (Undoubtedly that's why no one complained before.)
> >
> > Changing the rewriter to error out when it couldn't really Do The Right
> > Thing seemed like a good idea at the time, but now it seems clear that
> > this didn't do anything to enhance the usefulness of the system.  Unless
> > someone objects, I'll change it back for 7.2.
> >
> >             regards, tom lane
>
> I won't object ;-)
>
> Thank you again
> -- tomas

I wouldn't really mind that either.  My employer wouldn't allow me to
change the current set of RULE/NOTIFY's to triggers so that we could
upgrade to 7.1.3 from 7.0.3, so having it act the same way in 7.2 as it
did in 7.0.3 would be nice for me.  :)

Matthew M. Copeland