Re: GUC vs variable.c (was Patches applied...) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: GUC vs variable.c (was Patches applied...)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thomas Lockhart writes:

> Not sure. Peter would like to change the SET DATESTYLE support if I
> remember correctly. But I've gotten the impression, perhaps wrongly,
> that this extends to changing features in dates and times beyond style
> settings. If it is just the two-dimensional nature of the datestyle
> parameters (euro vs non-euro, and output format) then I'm sure that some
> other reasonable syntax could be arranged. I'm not sure what he would
> recommend wrt GUC in just the context of general capabilities for
> specifying parameters.

The only thing that I had suggested on occasion was that if nontrivial
work were to be put into SET DATESTYLE, we might want to consider if a
certain amount of "cleanup" could be done at the same time.  For example,
the particular date styles have somewhat unfortunate names, as does the
"european" option.  And the parameter could be separated into two.  One
doesn't have to agree with these suggestions, but without them the work is
sufficiently complicated that no one has gotten around to it yet.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net