Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> > Actually functions do have to be schema local. It's in the spec (don't
> > have exactly where with me).
>
> (A) I don't believe that; please cite chapter and verse;

In SQL99, chapter 4 verse 23 it says

"An SQL-invoked routine is an element of an SQL-schema and is called a
schema-level routine."

> (B) even if
> SQL92 thinks that's okay, we can't do it that way because of
> backwards-compatibility issues.

I don't buy that.  If all you're looking for is preserving

foo.bar  <==>  bar(foo)

for compatibility, then you can simply say that "bar" cannot be
schema-qualified in the left form (so it needs to live in the current or
the default schema).  We currently only have one default schema, so that's
backward compatible.  I think this syntax is a mistake, so I don't feel
compelled to provide more than backwards compatibility.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net