Re: Postmaster re-start problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Postmaster re-start problem
Date
List pgsql-general
John Burski writes:

> I was just about finished transferring a database from a PostreSQL 6.5.2
> installation on server A to a PostgreSQL 7.0.3 installation on server B

Try 7.1.3 instead.

> when I ran into a bit of trouble.  Both installations are on RedHat 6.2
> boxes.  Here's what I did...
>
>    * On server A:  ran the pg_dump command and dumped the database I
>      wanted to an output file.
>    * Transferred the output file from server A to server B.
>    * On server B:  ran the following command: "psql -d timeclock -f
>      db.out -U user_manager -W".  Everything completed successfully.  I
>      opened and interactive session as user_manager and made sure
>      everything was there.
>    * On server B:  edited the pg_hba.conf file to allow connectivity
>      from a single external host by adding the entry "host timeclock
>      192.168.9.30  255.255.255.255    crypt"

Up to here would have been sufficient.

>    * On server B:  ran the "/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgres restart" command.
>      This is were the problem lies - the post master won't restart.

This is a complete blind guess without knowing what this
/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgres file contains.

> I took a look at the output of the "ps ax" command and I found the
> following entry:
>
>      17756 ?        R     29:09 /usr/bin/postgres localhost
>      user_manager timeclock id
>
> Am I correct in assuming that this is prohibiting a restart?

Possibly, see above.

> If so, is it OK to kill this process off?

If you don't think anyone is or should be using the database, yes.

> If I can't kill it off, what are my options?

Turn off your computer?  ;-)