Re: Where to document system views? - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Where to document system views?
Date
List pgsql-docs
Tom Lane writes:

> My current thought is to add a section somewhere that describes these
> views, but where?  I don't think it's quite right to document them
> under the System Catalogs chapter of the Developer's Guide, since
> they're all intended for use by ordinary users and dbadmins; the
> system itself doesn't use them. Thoughts?

The pg_stat-related views ought to become part of a new section that
describes that whole deal in the first place.  If there is a lot to say it
could become a new chapter in the Admin Guide (perhaps "Monitoring...").
If there is only little to say it could be thrown into the big old "Server
Run-time Environment".

The others could become part of a chapter in the User's Guide I've been
meaning to write on "schema creation", which would describe what tables,
views, contraints, and such are.  A subsection on how to reverse engineer
the created schema would fit naturally.