Re: Showing index details with \d on psql - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Showing index details with \d on psql
Date
List pgsql-patches
Greg Sabino Mullane writes:

> > I don't like the '*' things.  They look ugly and convey little
> > real information.
>
> They convey "this column is indexed" and also indicate in how many
> indexes it appears.

I understood that, but a new user would not without a footnote.  And
obviously, '*' is just an arbitrary character -- what would we use next to
say "this column is part of a table constraint"?  I think this part is
very useful as it stands:

> Indexes: abc (post, reply, stat)
>          def (stat)
>          foo_pkey (primary key) (thread)

Hmm, shouldn't that be "foo_pkey(thread) (primary key)".  I understand
what you meant about the brackets, but brackets aren't typically used in
writing and look artificial.  Maybe something like

    foo_pkey (thread) -- primary key