Re: Long options for psql in 7.1.3 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Long options for psql in 7.1.3
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Arcady Genkin writes:

>   g9genarc@eddie:~$ psql -h /var/pgsql --help
>   psql was compiled without support for long options.
>   Use --help for help on invocation options.
>
> I guess that it was confused by having both options at once, since
> "psql --help" works fine (i.e. the long options *do* work).

While this message is confusing, it's factually correct. ;-)

We used to have -? as the universal help option, but that

a) doesn't work in csh

b) doesn't play well with getopt(3)

So --help was the next best (or even better IMHO) choice, and to support
it on all installations we had to give it some special treatment.