Re: Support building in a different directory on Solaris - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Support building in a different directory on Solaris
Date
List pgsql-patches
Ian Lance Taylor writes:

> Note that this patch normally will not run prep_buildtree on top of
> the source tree.  That would only happen in exceptional circumstances
> in which /bin/pwd did not return the same string in the same
> directory.  I wrote the patch to address Tom Lane's suggestion of not
> requiring test to support the relatively new -ef option.

I've thought hard about this and the solution that satisfied me most was
that

    test $srcdir -ef . || test `cd $srcdir && /bin/pwd` = `/bin/pwd`

(properly quoted etc.) means srcdir == builddir.  That means on Solaris
you will invoke the second part, as you suggested in your patch, whereas
if test -ef works you'll get the safer alternative.

I've also installed your prep_buildtree patch to be on the safe side.

One of my concerns is that prep_buildtree isn't super-portable by design
(using 'find'), but we'll just have to cross our fingers that nobody
exercises all these unlikely cases.