Log rotation? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Log rotation?
Date
Re: Log rotation?
Re: Log rotation?
List pgsql-hackers
With all the great work put into allowing true 24/7 operation, as
distributed we're still unable to rotate the log file.  While the log file
tends to be smaller than the database system as a whole, this is still
going to annoy people because they can't control disk usage without taking
the server down.

I've been playing with a little program I wrote whose sole purpose is to
write its stdin to a file and close and reopen that file when it receives
a signal.  I figured this could work well when integrated transparently
into pg_ctl.

So, is log rotation a concern?  Is this a reasonable solution?  Other
ideas?

(No Grand Unified Logging Solutions please.  And no, "use syslog" doesn't
count.)