Re: Building documentation in PostgreSQL 7.2devel - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Building documentation in PostgreSQL 7.2devel
Date
List pgsql-bugs
John Summerfield writes:

> The build instructions in the INSTALL documentation does not lead to the
> documentation (HTML or man pages) being built.

It's not supposed to.  The documentation is built separately and copied
into the tree before a release tarball is made.  Historically, the
documentation build tools were very hard to manage, so we did not want to
have them in the critical path.  This may change as time goes on.

The HTML documentation is in fact being built regularly on our development
server (postgresql.org) and copied to the web and ftp sites:

http://www.ca.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/index.html
ftp://ftp.de.postgresql.org/pub/dev/doc/

The man pages are only built rarely because it used to require manual
intervention.  (The man.tar.gz file on the ftp site was built by yours
truly before the 7.1 release.)  Again, this may change as the tools
mature.