Re: timestamps cannot be created without time zones - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: timestamps cannot be created without time zones
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> Rainer Mager (rmager@vgkk.com) reports a bug with a severity of 2

> Creating a TABLE with a TIMESTAMP type seems to ignore the WITH TIME
> ZONE option. That is, with or without the option the TIMESTAMP still
> has a time zone.

We feel that the SQL timestamp definition as regards with/without time
zone is undesirable.  Our timestamp type always stores the time in UTC and
prints it out according to the local time zone.  The fact that the type
then comes out as 'timestamp with time zone' is disputed, but they are in
fact one and the same type.