Re: Various doc errors and shortcomings - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Various doc errors and shortcomings
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Charles Obler writes:

> Programmer's Guide, 8.2.3. Connecting to the Database
>
> According to the documentation, the URL includes what is called
> "the database name".  I assumed that the fully qualified path

Don't assume. ;-)

> name was intended here, since that is what normally appears in a
> URL.  How else does one unambiguously identify a file?

What file?

> One or two examples are needed in this section to make it clear
> that postgresql has its own directory of "registered" databases,
> and the "database name" in question is the name in this
> registry, not the database filename.

Nowhere does it say that databases have file names.  Where do you get that
idea?

> Tutorial Chapter 2:

The tutorial is not very well maintained (if at all).  Thanks for finding
these problems.  (It was once merged from a TeX file, FYI.)