Re: OIDs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: OIDs
Date
List pgsql-general
Kapil Tilwani writes:

> What happens when OIDs overflow?

You might get spurious problems when you are altering your schema (unique
contraint violations on the system catalogs), but those can be overcome by
manually advancing the oid past the area used by the system.

> What are XIDs?

transaction ids

> What if they overflow?

Your database system evaporates.  Seriously.

> Secondly, OIDs are always sequential, right?  Cant they be random....

That would be significantly harder to keep track of.

> I wouldnt like to keep a track (or from anyone finding out) which record came in first...

That wouldn't be very hard to find out without the oids either.