Re: How many no. of clients can access database simultaneously? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: How many no. of clients can access database simultaneously?
Date
List pgsql-general
Namrata writes:

> 1: How many maximum number of clients can access the same database at a time?

The compiled-in default is 1024, the run-time default is 32.  Both can be
changed to a couple of million if you have the memory.  (Not that an OS
will usually support that many processes.)

> 2: What is the recovery mechanism provided for PostgreSQL? Is there any provision for comma separated records or
file?

Make regular backups. ;-)

> 3: Are there any interfaces provided in C/C++ to change or set the DATESTYLE and           TIMESTAMP?

No, but there's an SQL interface that you can call from C or C++.

> 4: When client accesses the database from other host machine, we provide the ipaddress and hostname for connection.
Myquestion is about, priority is
> given to which parameter for connecting to the remote host, ipaddress or hoatname, which is having highest priority?

IP address

> 5: What type of the connection exits when client connects to remote database server? Is that TCP or UDP?

TCP

> 6: Is there any provision for database spaaning on multiple diska?

Not within PostgreSQL, but you can use a logical volumen manager in your
operating system.

> 7: How the database recovery is provided in case if the connection between the client and server breaks while the
transactionis in process and client
> & server are on separate machines/hosts?

Transaction is rolled back.