Re: psql shell problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: psql shell problem
Date
List pgsql-general
Denis A. Doroshenko writes:

> please, be good and tell me why can't we use history _really found in
> libreadline_, just because of some headers missing? if example proggie
> using readline with history has been successfully compiled and linked,
> with no headers, who cares about the header files?

ISO 9899:1999 cares about the header files.  In C99 you can't use a
function without declaring it.  Note that the test case in configure does
declare the function in a phony way.

> > What edition of readline does OpenBSD supply?
>
> heh, sounds weird, but i can't tell you :-) it seems to be readline
> which comes with GNU binutils (version 2.9 for OpenBSD 2.8, AFAIK).

All GNU readline releases and all readline-compatible NetBSD libedit
releases provide a history.h header.  If OpenBSD wants to create a new
readline[-compatible] package that does not include a history.h file
because it declares the history functions in readline.h then that's okay,
but I need to know that this is the plan and not just an accident.