Re: Fix for tablename in targetlist - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Fix for tablename in targetlist
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> I had a thought this morning that raising an error may be the wrong
> thing to do.  We could instead choose to expand the name into
> "pg_class.*",

Yeah, and maybe if there's a database called pg_class we select from all
tables at once.  In fact, this should be the default behaviour if I just
type 'SELECT;'.

No really, I don't see a point of not enforcing the correct syntax, when
adding '.*' is all it takes to get the alternative behaviour in a standard
way.