Re: "--tuning" compile and runtime option (?) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: "--tuning" compile and runtime option (?)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Justin Clift writes:

> When we get around to PostgreSQL's self-tuning ability being actively
> developed (and I think Bruce has done some of the very start with his
> monitor program), perhaps having a compile time option to set the
> default for the server, and a runtime option in case it changes?
> i.e.
> --tuning=superserver
> --tuning=shared
> --tuning=embedded
> postmaster -t superserver
> postmaster -t shared
> postmaster -t embedded

I'm generally no friend of generic "make it fast", "make it small"
options.  It is usually hard to decide what settings should go under what
heading because everyone is in a different situation.  The solution is to
provide user guidance to the existing configuration variables that goes
beyond what they do by adding why the user should care.