Re: [GENERAL] Better Features document? - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Better Features document?
Date
List pgsql-docs
Joel Burton writes:

> I started writing a 'Features+' document a few months ago, but it got sat
> aside during a busy work time. I'd like to restart that work.
>
> I don't want to recreate the manuals -- I envision something like a 5-page
> 'product datasheet' that explains just enough about what a trigger is so
> that users have no excuse for not digging into that chapter, and that
> people understand how fantasic procedural languages are.

If you can make it a little less than 5 pages (like 2), we can put it into
the preface of the documentation.  I'd imagine it stuck somewhere near the
following URL:

http://www.de.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/preface.html

(main web server down right now)

You will notice that the section "What is PostgreSQL?" at the cited
location is already a feeble attempt to be a feature advertisement.
However, the set and the focus of the features have clearly changed over
time, so it would be time to update this section.