Re: RC3 ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: RC3 ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker writes:

> At 2Meg, is there a reason why we include any of the docs as part of the
> standard tar ball?  It shouldn't be required to compile, so should be able
> to be left out of the main tar ball and downloaded seperately as required
> .. thereby shrinking the distribution to <6Meg from its current 8 ...

For that purpose you introduced the split distribution.  If there is any
good reason for it, it's this.  Currently, the .docs sub-tarball contains
the entire doc/ subtree, the consequence of which is that this tarball is
required for a functioning installation.  If we were to change this split
so that doc/src/ is a separate sub-tarball, then that one could be purely
optional and you could tell people that they don't need it unless they
want to write documentation.

However, removing any part of the documentation, built or source, from the
full tarball seems like a really bad idea.  It breaks the fundamental
principle behind a "full tarball".  The resulting confusion would be
enormous.  Especially now that we seems to start getting some outside
documentation contributors.