Re: Internationalized error messages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Internationalized error messages
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Karel Zak writes:

> > >  For transaltion to other languages I not sure with gettext() stuff on
> > > backend -- IMHO better (faster) solution will postgres system catalog
> > > with it.
> >
> > elog(ERROR, "cannot open message catalog table");
>
>  Sure, and what:
>
> elog(ERROR, gettext("can't set LC_MESSAGES"));
>
>  We can generate our system catalog for this by simular way as gettext, it's
> means all messages can be in sources in English too.

When there is an error condition in the backend, the last thing you want
to do (and are allowed to do) is accessing tables.  Also keep in mind that
we want to internationalize other parts of the system as well, such as
pg_dump and psql.