Re: PHP 4.0.4pl1 / Beta 5 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: PHP 4.0.4pl1 / Beta 5
Date
Re: PHP 4.0.4pl1 / Beta 5  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> > Deleting files in the install directory during installation is very
> > inappropriate.  At least let's try to get rid of it for 7.2.
>
> I don't like it much either, but I agree with Larry that it's an
> essential transition step for now.  Perhaps we can remove it again
> in 7.2 or 7.3 or so.

I doubt that it ever really worked, or could work, to install a new
version over an old one without deleting the old one first.  This here is
just one problem.  We can't be making these funny workarounds every time
the set of installed user visible files changes.  For example, if an older
version had a header file that the new version doesn't have, then user
code that includes this file will still be silently broken.