Re: ECPG could not connect to the database. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: ECPG could not connect to the database.
Date
Re: ECPG could not connect to the database.  (Michael Meskes <meskes@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane writes:

> > Not exactly. It is possible to use PGHOST but you also can add the hostname
> > to the dbname.
>
> Have you tried it lately?  I suspect that you are depending on code that
> is not in libpq's current sources anymore.  I fully agree with Peter E's
> reasons for removing it, too.  We do not need to overload the definition
> of libpq's dbname parameter.

Ouch, it *is* documented in ecpg(1).  I guess if ecpg wants to provide
this syntax (which it probably should, since the "sql connect to" syntax
doesn't have any other provisions for host name, port, etc.) then it could
take the code from libpq (it's still in there I think) and do the parsing
before calling PQsetdbLogin().