Re: pgsql/src (Makefile.global.in) - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: pgsql/src (Makefile.global.in)
Date
List pgsql-committers
Tom Lane writes:

> Perhaps the answer is to treat stamp-h as a real output file (ie,
> generated from a stamp-h.in file) rather than hacking it into place
> as an AC_OUTPUT extra command.  It looks to me like config.status
> only does the keep-the-old-timestamp bit for CONFIG_HEADERS files,
> not CONFIG_FILES files, so classifying stamp-h as the latter kind
> would make things work.

That would probably work, but I'm kind of hesitant to create an empty
input file in cvs just to serve this marginal feature.  (It wouldn't take
/dev/null because it tries to use .//dev/null.)  Moreover, the likely
candidate name stamp-h.in is sort of reserved for doing the same trickery
on autoheader, in case we ever use that.

I came up with this:

diff -c -r1.86 configure.in
*** configure.in        2001/01/01 23:10:09     1.86
--- configure.in        2001/01/02 19:20:16
***************
*** 1140,1144 ****
  ],
  [
  # Update timestamp for config.h (see Makefile.global)
! echo >src/include/stamp-h
  ])
--- 1140,1144 ----
  ],
  [
  # Update timestamp for config.h (see Makefile.global)
! test x"$CONFIG_HEADERS" != x"" && echo >src/include/stamp-h
  ])

This only updates the stamp file if config.h is actually being considered
by config.status.