Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL pre-7.1 Linux/Alpha Status... - Mailing list pgsql-ports

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL pre-7.1 Linux/Alpha Status...
Date
List pgsql-ports
Tom Lane writes:

> >         if (sizeof(unsigned long) > sizeof(Oid) && cvt > UINT_MAX)
>
> Hm.  Each part of that will generate "expression is always false"
> warnings from certain overprotective compilers.

Any compiler that does this will certainly issue a boatload of these all
over the tree.  More generally, I have given up on worrying too much about
the warning count on non-GCC compilers.  All the ones I've seen lately
generate tons already.

> A more serious problem is that using UINT_MAX assumes that Oid is
> unsigned int, which will certainly not be true forever --- but the
> required change will be easily missed when Oid changes.
>
> Perhaps postgres_ext.h could define
>
>     #define OID_MAX  UINT_MAX
>
> right below the typedef for Oid, and then we could do this in oidin():
>
>     #if OID_MAX < ULONG_MAX
>         if (cvt > OID_MAX)
>             elog();
>     #endif