Re: Performance tips - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Perrin
Subject Re: Performance tips
Date
Re: Performance tips  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Well, here's the output from vmstat:

aperrin@hm269-26876:~/afshome/papers/authoritarian$ vmstat
   procs                      memory    swap          io     system
cpu
 r  b  w   swpd   free   buff  cache  si  so    bi    bo   in    cs  us
sy  id
 0  1  0   3052   2132  10460 413284   0   0    11    14    6     5   6
3  17

I can't say I understand it though.... I've got a query running through
psql that's been chugging away for nearly 2 hours now:

auth=# select count(patternid) from patterns where patternid in (select
o_patternid from
auth(# letters, pattern_occurrences where letters.letterid =
pattern_occurrences.o_letterid
auth(# and letters.datecat in (1,2));

patterns has approx. 3,000,000 records, pattern_occurrences 5,000,000,
letters 10,000, of which 8,000 or so are datecat 1 or 2.

Last time I tried to vacuum the database it was still hung 12 hours later
so I cancelled.  Haven't tried vacuum analyze or explain but will do so.

Thanks,
Andy

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin@unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
      269 Hamilton Hall, CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA