Re: Need vols to work on 7.4 Announcement - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Gavin Sherry
Subject Re: Need vols to work on 7.4 Announcement
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Can I have 2 people who want to take charge of the 7.4 announcement? I need
> some help here because I'll be out of the country for the middle of the
> month.
>
>  Here's our timeline:
>
> Today:  Start working on opening paragraph,

Following is a media release I put together quickly. Its style is Big
Business. Ie, its not the kind of thing you sent to announce or
slashdot. Its the one you send to Journos. Comments?

----

The PostgreSQL Global Development Group is pleased to announce the
availability of version 7.4 of the PostgreSQL database. This
significant release represents the work of our world wide network of
developers and contributors over the last 9 months, building on the
unparalleled success of our 7.3 release in November 2002.

Significant features in the new version include:

    A complete redesign of error logging and reporting, providing developers
    with an SQL99 compliant mechanism for debugging and trouble shooting,
    while at the same time providing users real time suggestions on how to
    avoid error conditions in their applications.

    A redesign of subquery handling with the IN() clause, to ensure consistent
    with other subquery operations.

    The implementation of SQL99 compliant Information Schema, providing
    developers with database type, object and configuration information in a
    standardised way.

    Statement level triggers, enabling developers and users define and
    customise behaviour of the database when data is stored and manipulated.

    Read only transactions, which bring a greater level of security to web and
    enterprise applications by protecting data from modification.

    Performance improvements to data warehousing functionality.

As well as many other features.

A Timely Release

In making the release, the PostgreSQL Global Development Group had to
balance the large number of features planned for release with a consistent
release cycle, which provides loyal users with enhancements as quickly as
possible. <Insert quote from core developer reenforcing this>

<Insert quote from user(s) about business critical nature of features
released in this version>

About the PostgreSQL Global Development Group

More Information

Web site
Press email

----