Re: psql patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Nigel J. Andrews
Subject Re: psql patch
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Jeroen T. Vermeulen" <jtv@xs4all.nl> writes:
> > Imagine you're maintaing a program that sends out notifications, and
> > you want to get a feel for when this happens.  I think it would be
> > nice to be able to open a shell, run psql, issue a LISTEN and just
> > let it sit there and print out anything that comes along, while you
> > play with the application in another window.
>
> I'd be happier with it if there were a switch that enabled this behavior
> (and it were *not* on by default).  That would eliminate one of the
> things that was bothering me, which was the prospect of every psql
> everywhere consuming cycles to check for notifications.  If you did that
> it would likely also be acceptable to print notifications in the midst
> of type-in.

Wouldn't it make sense to have a separate utility for this? Something like
pg_listen? Configuration of the conditions could simply be by command line
switches ( or even just pg_listen <condition> [<condition> ...] ). Perhaps it's
a gborg or contrib utility rather than core though.

--
Nigel J. Andrews