Re: psql patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: psql patch
Date
Re: psql patch
List pgsql-patches
"Jeroen T. Vermeulen" <jtv@xs4all.nl> writes:
> Imagine you're maintaing a program that sends out notifications, and
> you want to get a feel for when this happens.  I think it would be
> nice to be able to open a shell, run psql, issue a LISTEN and just
> let it sit there and print out anything that comes along, while you
> play with the application in another window.

I'd be happier with it if there were a switch that enabled this behavior
(and it were *not* on by default).  That would eliminate one of the
things that was bothering me, which was the prospect of every psql
everywhere consuming cycles to check for notifications.  If you did that
it would likely also be acceptable to print notifications in the midst
of type-in.

            regards, tom lane