Re: Elocution - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Gavin Sherry
Subject Re: Elocution
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Justin Clift wrote:

> > That is not true IMHO. As I detailed in another email, I meet up with
> > MySQL AB people regularly -- Zak Graent, David Axmark, Georg Richter. They
> > are great guys. Zak in particular does a lot for open source and open
> > source databases including organising of database forums at OS conferences
> > and work in the community to enable open source databases work better
> > together (see my email on advocacy).
>
> Please ask them to contact us, as I've directly asked Monty a *bunch* of
> times to update stuff, both privately and publically.

No. I've just re-read the part of the manual you mentioned. Though I don't
agree with it, I also don't agree with Oracle PR's comments that
'databases are too sophisticated for people working in open source to
successfully develop'. What's our response? We do what we do and *show*
that Postgres is good. We need to do the same thing here. If MySQL AB
contacted you, asking you to remove the 'most advanced opensource database
system in the world' slogan which is all over PostgreSQL Web sites, would
you even consider it? After all, it is simply *our* opinion that this is
the case. I can see convincing arguments which would suggest that MySQL,
SAP/DB, Firebird or Sleepycat DB are actually the most sophisticated. It
is important to understand that.

Gavin