Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a revolution - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gavin Sherry
Subject Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a revolution
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

> Le Jeudi 20 Juin 2002 13:39, Karel Zak a écrit :
> >  IMHO there is not problem with organization -- I don't know what do
> >  you want to organize on actual number of developers / contributors
>
> Dear Karel,
>
> My previous e-mail points out several projects where, IMHO, a leadership would
> benefit the community at large :
> - replication,
> - W32 port,
> - marketing (read the post "Read this and puke").
>
> >  What is non-democratic now?
>
> The current processes are based on discussion, and therefore are democratic.
> My proposal does not intend to change discussion processes between
> pgsql-hackers.
>
> But, in order to face companies like MySQL AB, Oracle or Micro$oft, the
> community needs to take important decisions that will help team work. A
> clarified organization would help.

Jean,

Why on earth does this matter? Postgres will continue to be a good
database as long as developers and users cut code. It is not a
sufficiently complicated project to warrant too much concern about things
like this. Besides, a significant amount of the code committed to
Postgres is inspired by personal interest not obligation.

Gavin