Re: Nu-B\psql:Command Recall,Repeat? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From john-paul delaney
Subject Re: Nu-B\psql:Command Recall,Repeat?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Er..yuk.  Looks like I'll have to be careful with my input.  As I want to use this time to learn some postgresql (as
opposedto re-compiling), I'll wait until it's upgrade time again for the libreadline.  Thanks for the explanation.

regards
/j-p.

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Josh Berkus wrote:

> John-Paul
>
> > Excuse this *very* beginner to postgresql & sql.
>
> No excuse necessary!  The NOVICE list is for beginner questions.
>
> >The 'up-arrow' in
> >  psql doesn't
> > recall my previous typed commands (like in bash) - how do I turn on
> >  something
> > similar?
>
> Psql relies on the libreadline library  (from the GNU project) for this
>  functionality.  Many Linux distributions, and Cygwin, do not include
>  this package by default.  Unfortunately, enabling it requires:
> 1. Install libreadline
> 2. Re-compile and re-install the psql binary (or all of postgres).
>
> -Josh Berkus
>
> ______AGLIO DATABASE SOLUTIONS___________________________
>                                        Josh Berkus
>   Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com
>    and data management solutions       (415) 565-7293
>   for law firms, small businesses        fax 621-2533
>     and non-profit organizations.      San Francisco

 JUSTATEST Art Online
  www.justatest.com