Re: Case insensitive selects? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Wheeler
Subject Re: Case insensitive selects?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Yes, our CREATE INDEX lower(col) already does that, but you do have to
> use lower(col) when doing the query.

Right, that's what I'm suggesting a configuration that automates the
lower(col) bit in CREATE INDEX and that automates the lower(col) in
queries.

BTW, I've run into some snags with CREATE INDEX lower(col). First it
wouldn't work because my col was varchar (fixec by creating a new
function) and then because I tried to combine columns:

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX idx_name ON server(lower(col1), col2);

But I see that either they all have to be inside the function or for there
be be no function. Will 7.1  support mixing like this?

Thanks for your prompt responses, Bruce.

David