Re: Re: Recovery of PGSQL after system crash failing!!! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ryan Kirkpatrick
Subject Re: Re: Recovery of PGSQL after system crash failing!!!
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Tom Lane writes:
>
> > Thomas Lockhart <lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu> writes:
> > > Also, could the "-F" option be disabled now that WAL is enabled? Or is
> > > there still some reason to encourage/allow folks to use it?
> >
> > I was the one who put it back in after Vadim turned it off ;-) ... and
> > I'll object to any attempt to remove the option.
>
> The description should be updated though:
> http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/runtime-config.htm#RUNTIME-CONFIG-GENERAL
>
> I guess a lot of people have heard the rumour "PG 7.1 offers no-fsync
> performance with fsync turned on" and extrapolated "Imagine what it can do
> if I turn off fsync anyway."
That is exactly what I did... Figured that will WAL removing the
need for fsync, it wasn't needed and could be disabled for a nice
perfomance increase. Now I am quite a bit wiser, and will be leaving
fsyncing enabled on all 7.1 production servers. :) Thank you for bring that subtle point out and yes, the documention
could do with a bit of help on this point. TTYL.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |
|   Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  |  http://www.rkirkpat.net/   |