Re: Syslog Facility Patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Syslog Facility Patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Larry Rosenman writes:

> Ok, so what I think(?) needs to happen is the FIXME: tag needs to be
> handled.  We need to code a version of src/backend/parser/scansup.c
> that doesn't use palloc, and also strips the apostrophes from the
> front and end of the string?  This doesn't look that hard. Do I have
> "permission" to play with it, and submit a patch when I've got it
> fixed?

Some background information:  The current
 name = value

syntax is lexically compatible with the syntax of the SET command.
Therefore you can't have "funny" characters in 'value' unless
single-quoted.

Now in the context of the config file this seems overly restrictive.
Therefore I'd agree that we relax that a bit and allow more characters to
go into 'value' unquoted.  I'm not quite sure which, but to prevent
confusion I'd prefer no semicolons, whitespace, or equal signs, possibly
others.

This would require making 'value' a different token type from 'name',
because the latter should not accept these characters.

Additionally, the FIXME ought to be done.  I'd prefer it if it accepted
the exact same escapes and all as does the SQL parser/scanner.  So it
ought to be a copy and paste from scansup.c.  I'm not excited about
allowing double-quotes though.