Re: Issue NOTICE for attempt to raise lock level? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Issue NOTICE for attempt to raise lock level?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> To help debug this, I'm planning to add a little bit of code to the
> lock manager that detects a request for a lock on an object on which
> we already hold a lock of a lower level.  What I'm wondering about is
> whether to make the report be elog(DEBUG) --- ie, send to postmaster
> log only --- or elog(NOTICE), so that users would see it by default.

To me this seems to be a little like the much-disputed notice for adding
implicit range-table entries:  Either it's an error, then you abort, or
it's legal, then you leave the user alone and perhaps explain failure
scenarios in the documentation.  At least until we have something like a
user-configurable warning level.

elog(DEBUG) might be okay, but only with a positive DebugLvl, IMHO.