Darn, long option emulation doesn't work on FreeBSD - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Darn, long option emulation doesn't work on FreeBSD
Date
List pgsql-hackers
The long option emulation getopt(argc, argv, "...xy:-:") doesn't work on
FreeBSD (and who knows where else), it throws away options of the form
'--foo'.  That means you cannot specify postmaster options like
--log-pids, etc. on the command line.  Also, the --version option doesn't
work, which may cause initdb to fail for you.

So apparently we'll have to use an actual option letter for passing
runtime configuration parameters.  Any suggestions?  Already in use are

a A b B C d D e E f F i l L m M n N o O p P Q s S t v W x

'V' will be used as short form for "version".  My early favourite is '-c'.
(Using non-letters is probably not portable either.)