Re: AW: AW: "setuid" functions, a solution to the RI privil ege problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: AW: AW: "setuid" functions, a solution to the RI privil ege problem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Zeugswetter Andreas SB writes:

> Since you can write extensions to PostgreSQL that reach far into the OS,
> it does make sense to execute those extensions under a "non priviledged"
> user, and not postgres.

Agreed.

> This OS user would somehow be tied to the username that the client
> passes as his credentials (and that we trust to be authenticated).

Not agreed. It's a feature, not an accident, that client user names,
server OS user names, and database user names are independent. The mapping
of database user names to server OS user names needs to have a separate
mapping and authentication system, which could probably be similar to the
existing client authentication, but still separate.